Senior Manager / Public Affairs
|Develop and execute strategic plans, programs and stories that deliver high impact results focused across 5 key areas: Storytelling, Media Relationships, Proactively Managing Issues, Engaging Employees, and Driving / Supporting the Business. Effectively work with and support other Japan and APAC regional team members, and Business and HQ PA, to achieve desired outcomes.
○ Lead public affairs work to support Abbott’s cardiovascular and Neuromodulation businesses.
○ Drive our corporate storytelling themes and initiatives which includes business & innovation storytelling, Tokyo Marathon, workforce employment in Japan.
○ With authority over the communications issued externally on behalf of Abbott in Japan, in conjunction with the Director of Public Affairs.
○ Lead internal communications to enhance “One Abbott” culture by maximizing the company’s internal communication tool called “aLIVE”.
○ Keep the company’s Japanese website current to boost Abbott’s brand awareness in Japan.
○ Storytelling: Deliver impactful external visibility for Abbott through storytelling. Results should center on Corporate / Enterprise stories, trend stories, business stories, brand stories and reputation building stories. Support Abbott by thoughtfully leveraging the unique offerings of Abbott’s portfolio through strategic product communications.
○ Media Relationships: Cultivate, maintain, and develop sound relationships with editors, media, and other key external influencers to help build, enhance, and protect the company's reputation and drive our business forward. Leverage editor and journalist relationships to proactively build awareness about Abbott and its offerings through Japanese media. Act as a company spokesperson for Abbott in Japan for Corporate and division responses, formulating appropriate messaging to support Abbott’s image, brands and business.
○ Proactively Managing Issues: Effectively manage Abbott's public issues. Anticipate and identify potential issues and develop action plan to address them.
○ Engaging Employees: Lead the ongoing enterprise-wide, employee communications. Provide support to raise the internal communications capability of leaders in Japan.
○ Driving / Supporting the Business: Deliver communications across Japan that will build Abbott’s competitive advantage, position and market share. Convey stories about Abbott’s innovation in Japan.
○ Support all Abbott brand efforts with external PR and thought leadership – particularly around the Tokyo Marathon. Incorporate the Abbott brand in all communications, internally and externally. Support the thought leadership strategy as initiatives with supporting information and execution – particularly through executive visibility in Japan.
○ Agency management including budget and account management. Ensure PR agencies are optimally managed – from having contracts in place to ensure ROI and value for money.
|○ Minimum education is a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
○ Minimum 10 years’ corporate communications/public relations experience. Multinational experience with a Healthcare, Pharma, food/FMCG company preferred.
○ Understanding of Japan market dynamics and U.S. business practices necessary.
○ Strong verbal and written communications skills required.
○ Fluency in English.
○ Website management skills preferred.
○ Proven record in managing media & editor relations; stakeholder relations; business, brand, and corporate communications; and issues/crisis management in a collaboration-oriented environment.
○ Proven success in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.